Okay, now this is going to be really interesting! We have chosen this offbeat topic to help you understand how vast the English language and its dictionaries are. When you explore some of the longest words listed in English dictionary, then you would be amazed to realize how simple their true meanings are.
There is a stock of words in English dictionary that are now considered defunct in terms of the modern usage of the language. The history of some of these words can be traced back to the Shakespearian era, while others lasted in common diction as late as the 20th century.
If we speak from the viewpoint of assignment writing in various subjects in English language, then would come across the fact that nearly all the assignment writers shun the usage of these terms in academic writing industry. It is happening irrespective of the fact that even if someone puts one of these words in his or her assignment drafts, the evaluator will require to acknowledge its presence in the prominent English language dictionaries. For example, the longest word in Oxford dictionary is “Floxinoxinihilipilification” with a simple meaning as “useless” or “worthless”.
It is not like we are sharing this list to encourage a trend of adding more of such words in our paid assignment orders. Yet, discovering their origin and meaning is nothing short of fascinating.
MUST READ: How To Write Critical Essay On Literature?
Well, there is no use of killing already ignited curiosity, so let us begin with…
Top 9 Longest Words in English Language that You Should Know –
Check this infographic with top 9 longest English words along with their meaning –
- Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia: It is basically a noun and ironically means, “excessive fear of long words”.
- Antidisestablishmentarianism: This is also a noun and originated in the United Kingdom in the early 19th In the present context, the word is limited to governmental institutions withdrawing support from religious institutions.
- Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis: Again, a noun and founded by the late 1930s, intricately defines a lung disease. Though the word has secured its existence in the Oxford English dictionary for a while, it is not really used in the field of medical practices.
- Pseudopseudohypoparathyroidism: The term implicates a form of disorder which is inherited by an individual genetically, which eventually affects his or her bone structure.
- Aequeosalinocalcalinoceraceoaluminosocupreovitriolic: The word can be defined as “Spa water in Bath City, England”. The word is a form of noun coined in the 18th century by Dr. Edward Strother. The word is basically a chain of Latin words describing the chemical composition of water utilized in the spas of Bath City, England.
- Otorhinolaryngological: The word defines a branch of science dedicated to the treatment of head, ear, nose, throat as well as neck disorders.
- Hepaticocholangiocholecystenterostomies: Arguably, one of the longest words one can access in Gould’s Medical Dictionary. It is a word implying the connection between the intestine, the gallbladder, and hepatic duct. The connection between these organs permits them to communicate with each other.
- Osseocaynisanguineoviscericartilagininervomedullary: The word was first coined by Thomas Love Peacock in the novel titled “Headlong Hall in the year 1816”. It is a term derived with the combination of Greek and Latin terms describing the anatomy of the human body.
- Honorificabilitudinitatibus: It is a word used by William Shakespeare in his popular comedy known as “Love’s Labour’s Lost”. The word is unique in terms of the usage of alternating vowels and consonants.
And with that we conclude the lesser known yet interesting list of longest words featuring a remarkable history of origin. These words have direct association with the field of literature, medicine, and playwriting.
The contribution of English language is extremely vast and channelize a medium of expressing thesis, assignments, and research papers of various subjects. The creative ingenious of experts can take the writing skills as well as the presentation to the whole new level. They know the worth and the impact of each word in the dictionary and how it would make the English language assignment writing eloquent and expressive.